Roulette has been one of the most popular casino games for a long time. And when we say long time, we really mean it. After all, roulette has been around since the 18th century. Originally created with a double zero, it evolved to feature a single zero variation as well. Slothino offers plenty of roulette variations, including both European roulette and American roulette as well as double ball roulette, lightning roulette and Monopoly roulette. But before we get to spinning, let’s learn how to play roulette with Slothino.
A Brief Roulette Introduction
The first roulette register dates back to the late 18th century in France. Over the next century, the game quickly spread across Europe and the US. As a fun fact, the French and European variations originally had two zeroes rather than one. The single zero version was introduced in the 1860s, and soon replaced the variation with double zeroes as the most popular one. In the US, however, the double zero variation remained as the most popular one. While many other variations have appeared since then, the French/European roulette and the American roulette are the most famous ones.
Roulette has fairly simple rules and offers a decent payout, which helps explain its popularity. The game itself is very easy to get into. A dealer, or croupier, will rotate the roulette with a small ball on it. At some point, the ball will stop on one of the numbers. The roulette has black and red numbers, with a single green zero (in European roulette) or two green zeroes (in American roulette).
It all sounds pretty simple, right? And it is. Roulette is probably one of the easiest ways to get into casino gaming. And now you can enjoy it from the comfort of your home. Slothino offers the best online roulette games, so take your time and pick your favorite one.
What Are the Rules for Playing Roulette?
The first thing you will probably notice on roulette is the number’s placement. Rather than in the standard numerical order, the numbers on the roulette have a different sequence. You will place the bets on a table, the layout, which displays the number on three columns and 12 rows. Roulette bets are split into inside and outside bets. Essentially, inside bets have worse odds, but higher payouts. Outside bets are the opposite, with better odds but lower payouts.
You will place your bets using chips, which have different colors for each player. But first, you will need to determine a value for your chips. Once that’s been taken care of, it’s time to go for the action. When it comes to online casinos, you will find two kinds of roulette games: most online roulette games will allow you to spin it yourself. Live dealer variations, on the other hand, bring the real casino experience: you must place the bets before the croupier spins the roulette.
Once the ball lands on a number, the round is over and the winnings are paid out accordingly. European roulette is the most popular choice among casino players thanks to its slightly lower house edge. Since it only has one zero, the house edge is 2.70%. In the American variation, the house edge jumps to 5.26%.
Slothino also offers a special French roulette variation with the La Partage and En Prison rules, which will refund part of an even or odds bet whenever the ball lands on zero. The La Partage rule allows players to reclaim half of their original wagered value, while the En Prison rule allows them to keep that same bet on the table for another round. If the player wins the following round, the bet is then fully refunded. In this variation, the house edge drops even further to 1.35%.
What is the Best Bet on Roulette?
Now that you know the rules, it’s time to come up with the strategy. As previously mentioned, roulette has two kinds of bets – inside and outside. Since inside bets require you to wager on numbers, they offer longer odds and bigger payouts. Outside bets, on the other hand, allow you to place your wager outside the numbers, which encompasses a wider range of numbers. This means better odds at the cost of lower payouts.
These are the options available for inside bets:
- Straight up: place the bet on a single number. It has the longest odds, but also the bigger payout at 35x your wager.
- Split bet: place your wager on two adjacent numbers on the table, with a 17x payout.
- Street bet: place your bet on a row of three numbers, which pays 11x the wagered value.
- Corner bet: place a bet on four numbers located on the same corner. It has a payout of 8x.
- Double street (or six-line): place your bet on two rows of three numbers. It pays 5x your bet.
- Basket bet: place a bet on 0, 1, 2 and 3. The American roulette variation also includes the 00. It has a 6x payout.
For outside bets, these are the available options:
- Column: as the name implies, you place a bet on one of the three columns. It has a 3x payout.
- Low (1-18) or High (19-36): place a bet on one of these rangers. It has a 2x payout.
- Red or Black: place a bet on which color the ball will land, which pays 2x your bet.
- Dozen bet: place a bet on which dozen the ball will land on (1-12, 13-24 or 25-36). It has a 3x payout.
- Even or odd: also self-explanatory, place a bet on whether the ball lands on an odd or an even number. It pays 2x your bet. For the French roulette, En Prison and La Partage rules apply if the ball lands on 0.
And that’s what you need to know in order to get started with roulette. Ready to spin? Then come to Slothino and enjoy the best roulette games. Stay a while, Play a while!